Photograph by Becca Lister
I love great design, I love creating great design, I love seeing great design, there's something that stirs in us all when we see something that communicates to us, that moment when we say, "wow...that looks so good". That’s why I design, striving to create something that communicates to individuals it's content in a perfect way. Whether that's something as simple as a business card or a brochure or something more complex like a e-commerce website.
Why web design?
Digital media and web design in particular holds a fascination for me, I like the challenge of creating within it's limitations, browser type, device and screen widths, to name a few. Also the language of code, creating something that makes sense visually from just words and symbols gives me a lot of satisfaction. I like the immediacy and transitory nature of design for web as well, giving a website a 'personality' that reflects the content one moment that can be changed to suit in another, the ability for a user able to make decisions with the content at will can be almost artistic in nature. I love creating websites that are great to look at and communicate well on any platform.
My skill set
A little about what I can do: I've developed my skills over 20 years working in the creative industry, this isn't a CV but here's a list:
- I can draw, paint and sculpt
- Managed a design/web development team (twice)
- Expert in Adobe software, Illustrator and Photoshop
- Build Wordpress templates and custom websites
- Create code using eclipse, phpstorm and half a dozen other platforms
- Integration and creation of MySql and Sqlite
- Created apps for iOS (Xcode) and android (Intel SDK)